Thursday, January 2, 2014

Post 17: A MODEL TEST STAGE

   In order to get ready for the workshop and test some ideas, I bought some white presentation boards from Office Depot, and made a cardboard test stage with a floor, a back wall, and slanted side walls.
   I mounted the projector upside down on an 8ft pole, angled it down to hit my "stage", and leveled it sideways. By trial and error, I ended up with this odd shaped stage on which the projected image looked good, with accented perspective:

   I projected a grid on it and marked the edges of each wall, so I could map different images to the back wall, the floor, and each side wall:

   First, I tested a set made of solid bright colors:


   When projected on the model stage with santos standing in as dancers, it lined up well, and looked good. If the "dancers" are placed front stage, they take on the color of the red floor, and contrast nicely with the blue back wall color:

       Next, I designed some stage sets with contrasting color stripes, and the results suggest some interesting possibilities:




      I also used photographic images to make realistic sets. 
   The room with graffiti could have a window panel cut out and recessed so a dancer could enter the stage through it. There could be partially open doors in the side walls.

  Hashima Island makes an interesting set with a bright green lawn:

   A room with weathered red siding and tin signs could have cracked door and windows people can slide through:

    I tried a surrealistic Steampunk clock room. The gears and clock hands would of course be animated to turn and the candles flicker:

    One could also build a virtual outdoor seaside set for "Pina Water Dance":


or a Mandala Set:

  Possibilities are endless, and that is with a single projector. Of course, fixed props can be set on the stage and mapped too. 
  



No comments:

Post a Comment